The Mill was originally owned by world-renowned textile producers Fox Brothers who transformed fleece into yarn, cloth and textiles. It was located in an area which had plenty of resources, with an ample supply of sheep, and therefore fleeces, and easy access to the River Culm for a continuous supply of water.
Originally the mill was powered by waterwheel, with a new one installed in 1821. Then, in 1865, steam engines were installed to power the factory’s machines and keep up with production demands. The steam-powered equipment is still in working order and is fired up several times a year at the Mill’s special ‘steam up’ days.
The Mill is open to the public all year round. Closed Mondays except bank holidays 9.30am – 4.30pm.