This study of the surviving structures and the history of the former RAF fighter station at Culmhead sets out the history of the airfield and its buildings; the significance of the airfield, regionally and nationally, and puts forward recommendations for the conservation, management and further recording work of these structures. The study has collated the source material relating to the men and women who served at the airfield during the Second World War, including an official photographic record of the Polish squadrons when stationed at the airfield in January 1942. One of the Spitfires which was based on the airfield with a Czech squadron is still flying and is based at an aviation museum in America. During the course of this work the importance of the site in the Cold War, when it was an outpost of GCHQ from the 1950s until 1999, has been highlighted for the first time.

Start typing and press Enter to search