Defra is currently planning a new Environmental Land Management System (ELMS). The intention is to replace the current rural grants and payments scheme with a system of “public money for public goods”.
The Government’s vision for ELMS is that it will incentivise land managers to deliver the goals of the 25 year environment plan:
- Clean and plentiful water
- Clean air
- Thriving plants and wildlife
- Reduction in and protection from environmental hazards
- Adaptation to and mitigation of climate change
- Beauty, heritage and engagement with the environment
Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) is one of a number of organisations, including 12 AONB projects, taking part in ‘tests and trials’ which will gather information to support Defra in the co-design of ELMS.